Wednesday 17 February 2016

Lemon Cake with Chia Seeds


lemon cake, cake, chia, chia seeds, lemon, recipe, recipes


When it comes to Chia seeds, I am still on a voyage of discovery and experimentation. I read how healthy they are and therefore intend to use them as an ingredient in my food as often as possible. I have already tried them out in a few simple recipes (I will post them soon) but what I really wanted to do was to bake a cake with this novelty ingredient.

Chia reminds me a bit of poppy seed so I used it in a lemon cake as a substitute for poppy seeds. The cake turned out delicious: very moist with crunchy little bits. And although I do realize this is not the healthiest cake in the world (I tried to use healthy rapeseed oil instead of butter but it didn’t work), I am sure that adding chia seeds certainly made it healthier.

INGREDIENTS (for 8 portions):

175g butter, in room temperature,
175g sugar,
200g flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
Zest from 3 lemons,
2 tbsp lemon juice,
3 eggs,
100g Greek yoghurt,
2 tbsp chia seeds,

Icing:
100g icing sugar,
1 tbsp + 1tsp lemon juice.

METHOD:
  1. Preheat an oven to 180 Celsius Degrees (160 for fan ovens).
  2. Put a disk of parchment paper on the bottom of a round 18cm-diameter cake tin and grease its side.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy, add the rest of the cake ingredients and beat until everything is well combined.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the hot oven for 50-60 minutes (when a wooden stick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, the cake is ready).
  5. Cool down the cake at first in the tin and after 10 minutes on a wire rack.
  6. Prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice, pour it over the cake.
lemon cake, cake, chia, chia seeds, lemon, recipe, recipes



Subscribe to our Delicious and Healthy Recipes Newsletter

* indicates required


0 коментара:

Post a Comment