Wednesday 24 February 2016

Healthy Avocado Brownies [gluten free]



avocado, avocado brownies, brownie, brownies, chocolate, gluten free, healthy, healthy brownies, recipe, recipes

Who doesn’t love brownies? For sure I don’t belong to this group of people because I love them like almost everything else that contains chocolate. I especially adore brownies that my daughters have baked for the last few years. Their brownies are moist, chocolaty and rich. They are unfortunately also full of calories and fat as there is butter and plenty of sugar in them… So whenever I have those brownies, my guilt grows proportionately to the number of pieces I eat.

That’s why when I came across a brownie recipe that uses avocado instead of butter, I quickly had to test it out. To be honest I wasn’t ecstatic about the final outcome: I used chocolate with a very high percentage of cocoa solids and the cake was on the edge of being bitter. As I really liked the concept of healthier brownies, I didn’t want to give up and adjusted the recipe to make it sweeter without adding any more sugar. So I used a different type of chocolate and added lots of nuts as well as cranberries. That strategy worked really well: the result of my second attempt was most delicious.

INGREDIENTS (for 16 pieces):

100g dark chocolate (no more than 65% cocoa),
2 medium, ripe avocados, peeled and roughly mashed,
150g sugar,
2 tsp vanilla extract,
2 eggs,
40g cocoa powder,
45g almond flour or ground almonds,
40g dried cranberries,
100g mixed nuts (cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts), roughly chopped,

METHOD:
  1. Preheat an oven to 175 Celsius degrees (or 150 for fan ovens).
  2. Line a small (e.g. 14cm x 24cm) baking tray with a parchment paper.
  3. Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a pan of simmering water.
  4. Put to a food processor the avocados, sugar and vanilla extract; process them till smooth.
  5. Stir in the melted chocolate then add the eggs and process again till everything is combined.
  6. Add the cocoa powder and almond flour, mix well until combined.
  7. Stir in the dried cranberries and nuts; transfer to the baking tray and smooth the top.
  8. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

brownie, brownies, healthy brownies, avocado brownies, recipe, recipes, healthy, gluten free, avocado, chocolate


Based on a Half Baked Harvest's recipe  

Subscribe to our Delicious and Healthy Recipes Newsletter

* indicates required


0 коментара:

Post a Comment