Thursday 16 July 2015

Broad Bean, Egg and Radish Salad [vegetarian]


salad, vegetarian, broad beans, healthy snack


I remember having broad beans as a snack when I was a child. During the summer, when we visited my paternal grandparents, there would always be a big bowl of broad beans cooked simply with salt waiting for us at the table. We would all help ourselves, pop the beans out from their skins, and eat them while we were talking. Such a simple, yet delicious and healthy snack!

A few years ago my mother started using broad beans in a salad with dill and thin strips of ham. I loved (and still love) that salad a lot but I have a vegetarian at home, so I had to change it slightly. Instead of ham, I use boiled eggs; and because eggs go well with radishes, I also add them to the salad.

INGREDIENTS (for 6 portions):
1 kg podded broad beans,
4 eggs,
10 radishes,
A few dill sprigs,
1 tbsp plain yoghurt,
2 tbsp mayonnaise,
salt and pepper.

METHOD:
  1. Rinse the broad beans, put them to a pan and cook in salted water for 4 minutes.
  2. Cook the eggs for 8 minutes.
  3. When the broad beans are cooked, drain the hot water and immediately cover them with cold water. Leave for 2-3 minutes, drain again and squeeze them from their skins.
  4. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and chop; then add to a bowl with broad beans.
  5. Slice the washed radishes and thinly chop the dill; add to the bowl together with yoghurt, mayonnaise and seasoning, mix everything and preferably leave for 30 minutes to cool down.
salad, vegetarian, broad beans, healthy snack


0 коментара:

Post a Comment