Tuesday 12 April 2016

Banana Blondie with Chocolate [gluten free / vegan*]


blondie, blondies, banana blondie, banana blondies, vegan cake, chocolate, vegan blondie, banana, vegan, cake

My adventure with cooking really started with baking in my early teens. That is why it is difficult for me to imagine never eating cakes. However - since I know that cakes are better for your taste buds than your waistline - I try to test out healthier options where plain white flour is replaced by wholemeal or by almond flour. If possible, I also swap butter for healthy oil (e.g. rapeseed, though it doesn’t always work due to its strong smell), and I always try to use less sugar.

So I was extremely happy when I came across a recipe for blondies that neither requires butter nor flour. To make it vegan, I made some additional changes and at the end the cake turned out great: moist and fudgy. 

I know you may be skeptical about cakes without eggs, flour or butter. And I agree that they taste differently. But differently doesn't always mean bad. So even if you are one of the people thinking that vegan cakes are not really for you as they are “too healthy”, I think you will be nicely surprised.

* The cake is 100% vegan if you use vegan chocolate.

INGREDIENTS (for 16 small pieces):

2 bananas,
120g rolled oats,
1tsp baking powder,
40g demerara sugar,
60ml maple syrup,
150g smooth peanut butter,
1 tsp vanilla extract,
100g coconut cream (the thick part of the coconut milk that collects on top of a tin),
40g chopped chocolate (if the cake has to be 100% vegan, use vegan chocolate).

METHOD:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C (180C for fan ovens) and line a 14x24cm (or similar small) baking tin with parchment paper.
  2. Put all the ingredients except for the chocolate to a food processor and process till smooth.
  3. Add the majority of the chocolate pieces to the batter and stir.
  4. Pour it into the prepared tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with the rest of chocolate.
  5. Put the tin to the hot oven for 20-25 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!
blondie, blondies, banana blondie, banana blondies, vegan cake, chocolate, vegan blondie, banana, vegan, cake


This cake was inspired by Cafe Delites recipe.


0 коментара:

Post a Comment